1. Who (is pitching)- Wei-Yin Chen vs. Jeremy Guthrie
- Chen was 16-6 with a 3.54 ERA in the regular season
- Guthrie was 13-11 with a 4.13 ERA in the regular season
- Chen’s last start: 3.2 IP, 5 ER, ND. 11 days ago vs Detroit
- Guthrie’s last start: 7 IP, 0 ER, W. 18 days ago vs. Chicago White Sox, a regular season game.
2. What (is the series at)- Kansas City leads the series 2-0.
3. When (is first pitch)- 8:07PM EST
4. Where (can you watch it)-
5. Weather- Clear skies, but windy.
6. Tickets- Prices appear to be dropping in KC despite the 2-0 series lead.
When tickets went on sale in Kansas City for the ALCS before the series started the average ticket price was $420, according to TiqIQ. But despite the Royals winning two in Baltimore tickets are actually dropping. The average price for Games 3, 4, and 5 in Kansas City are now $318. The reason Jesse Lawerence of TiqIQ gives is that fans are saving up to buy World Series tickets, rather than ALCS tickets- even if it means not seeing their team clinch a World Series berth in person.
7. Stat Time!
8. Undefeated Royals– The Royals are 6-0 this postseason after winning the play-in game against Oakland, sweeping the Angels 3-0, and stealing two more in Baltimore.
9. Tonight is a must-win for Baltimore– In MLB history, 33 teams have fallen behind 3-0 in a best-of-7 series. The 2004 Red Sox were the only team to overcome that deficit, doing so against the Yankees in the ALCS. – ESPN Stats & Info
10. Walk this way- The Royals finished the regular season ranked last in the majors in walks. In the playoffs they have the second most walks (24), one behind the Giants.
11. Going with Guthrie?– This will be Jeremy Guthries’ first action of the postseason. Of the five regular KC starters, Guthrie’s ERA (4.13) and WAR (1.1) are the worst. Jason Vargas (3.71 ERA/2.4 WAR) is fully rested and has already won a game this postseason.
12. O’s aren’t leaders- The Orioles have yet to get a lead in the first two games of the ALCS after leading in 11 of 27 innings during the 3 game sweep of the Tigers in the ALDS.
13. O’s starters need to step it up- Only twice in five games has an O’s starter completed even five innings of work.
14. Lineup card-
15. Coolest Twitter story that might give you chills…
Royals pitcher Brandon Finnegan might’ve just made a special fans day/month/year, when a simple request lead to two tickets to Game 3 tonight. Here’s the exchange: